inconsistent checksums on copied directories

charles f. zeitler cfzeitler at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 22 23:38:35 UTC 2006

> > my problem is not with by-file verification,
> > but on the directory as a whole....
>
> Not sure I follow you. Both methods /do/ check "the
> directory as a
> whole" -- i.e. the entire contents of the directory
> and everything under
> it, however they do it at a level of comparing
> individual files.

i am trying to verify a copied directory
in one shot- thus-
i create a temporary archive with
'tar cf - dir_name'
and then pipe it to sha1sum:
tar cf - dir_name | sha1sum
for the original and copied directories,
for each while in its parent directory.

> Rsync's /raison d'etre/ is to make exact copies of
> entire directory
> trees, including metadata, so if it finishes without
> error, you can be
> confident that you have a good copy.
interesting. cp -a also preserves metadata

> Giving tar the "--verify" option will cause it to do
> checksum
> verifications as well.
>
> If you require a method that works
> 'offline'--without access to the
> actual directories themselves--then that's a
> different issue.

nice. but tar tells me that it
Cannot verify stdin/stdout archive

charles f zeitler

:                  Do  What Thou  Wilt                     :

:                       Shall  Be                          :

:                The  Whole  of The  Law                   :