disabling touchpad on laptop

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Nov 23 04:50:02 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 22 November 2006 21:23, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>On Wed, 22 Nov 2006, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Wednesday 22 November 2006 16:41, Trey Sizemore wrote:
>>> On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 08:52:19 -0500
>>>[...]
>>> Yes, it's not immediately apparent.  You need to go to KDE Control
>>> Center -> Peripherals -> Touchpad.  All the settings can be enabled
>>> and disabled from there.
>>
>> Unforch I neglected to say that yes it was, but its all ghosted
>> because I apparently need to add an 'Option "UseShm" "true"' in my
>> xorg.conf, but I've done that to no avail.  I think I might see the
>> problem after some manpage reading, it seems that both Section
>> InputDevice stanza's are claiming they are coredevice, and there's
>> supposed to be only one.
>
>I think the line you want is
>
>         Option      "SHMConfig" "on"
>
>or "true", or maybe other similar values.
>
>> I'll check that the next time I boot it up as I spent the afternoon
>> talking a buck out of his hide since he didn't need it anymore.  Its
>> deer season here and the next door neighbor gave me a small buck last
>> night.

And after an early evening nap, that *was* the magic twanger Mathew,
thanks.  I also see that the touchpad is much faster, and that the
control panel stuff is no longer ghosted.  So I can play.  But while I
could control it somewhat, I couldn't set the borders because after the
first function for left edge, the next button never came on again.  So I
disabled it completely.  I even tried the alps version, but a steady
finger crawled it down and to the right, resetting it to the normal
synaptics setting didn't restore the ability to set the borders.

I'd clicked on the system tray button, but although that calls up
ksynaptics, its control seems to be overriden by the control center
settings.  And vice-versa, if ksynaptics is in the tray, the control
center cannot do anything because its all ghosted again.

Humm, if I quit ksynaptics, the pad comes back, but the control center
must be exited and restarted before the stuff is unghosted again.
Confusing to say the least, if I want it disabled, I must leave
ksynaptics running in the system tray.  This is the lessor of the two
evils I believe, so I'll see how I can get along with it.

Thanks for that bit of magic, Mathew.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)