X problem on FC6

Blake Thornton blake at math.wustl.edu
Thu Nov 23 15:31:50 UTC 2006

I'm not sure where to start here.  I am trying to install FC6 on my home
computer that is probably 5 years old.  It was running FC3 without any
major problems (it was slow).

But, X windows won't start:

If I choose graphical install, it just hangs and does nothing.  (shows a
splash screen, but won't respond).

I did a text install and the install seemed to go fine but when I "startx"
or choose runlevel 5 X won't start.

I'm not sure where to start.  I believe my graphics card is a:
3dfx, voodoo 3

I read that there we nvidia card issues and I did:
yum install kmod-nvidia
Not surprisingly, that didn't help any.

I'm going to try to install FC5 and see if thats works but if someone had
an idea for me I would be very grateful.

Blake