Q re daemons

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Nov 24 02:05:00 UTC 2006

On Thursday 23 November 2006 20:50, Ed Greshko wrote:
>Thierry Sayegh De Bellis wrote:
>> Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> So can anyone tell me what 'audispd' is and does?  And how, if its
>>> not doing anything usefull, can I reliably kill it so that its not
>>> restarted at the next reboot?
>>
>> apologies for a 2nd reply but hey...i'm just sad ;-)
>> searching audispd returns stuff on audit and then actually found the
>> following - brace yourself, it's long....
>>
>> What is Audit?
>
>No, what is sad is that Gene has probably over dosed on turkey and
> football games today to the point where he has others doing the
> research for him when he normally is able to do it himself.  :-)

While thats a possibilty Ed, the turkey oinked when it was walking around
& what little time I had away from the computer was while I worked a bit
on butchering a deer, and which I need to finish up tomorrow unless it
gets a lot colder.  I just looked at the inbox file with the tail
command, and here is one of the hundreds of emails I get a day:
-------
>From unknown at unknown.invalid Thu Nov 23 21:00:09 2006

Learned tokens from 0 message(s) (0 message(s) examined)
-------
Now, kmail displays that date as 18:59:59 Dec 31, 1969!
So whatever it is thats doing it has little or no concept of a properly
formatted email message.  All I want to do is kill it, hopefully by a
system friendly means.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)