Metrics and your privacy

Deepak K. Shrestha d88pak at gmail.com
Fri Nov 24 04:01:25 UTC 2006

Mike McGrath wrote:
> So we're looking for better ways to find out exactly who is out there
> and what Fedora is being used for.  I've been compiling thoughts and
> ideas on a metrics site.  Please take a look and comment.  What are
> you, the community, most comfortable with?  Where's the line where
> you'd check the check box to not participate?
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/Metrics
>
>           -Mike

After going through the link provided and following this thread, I hope
following will be helpful.

1. RH doesn't need the user's personal info, geographical informations
etc. I guess nobody (Fedora users) will agree to provide this because it
has many uses and could be used for the purpose other than stated in the
policy (privacy policy blah! blah!.....and so on).

2. If RH needs to know the installed base of Fedora, the best way is to
use Hardware ID (generated based on the current hardware) and other
informations which users could voluntarily give.

3. The registration of such data should be transparent and served
publicly so that it should be available instantly for verification.

Though I am far from expert in this, What I have in mind is something
like this (and best explained this way)

1. User installs FC in his/her computer.
2. During the first boot, the Unique Hardware ID is generated (based on
what hardware currently user have) and user is presented with form
(along with the unique Hardware ID) to fill up some info. For example:

    ++++++++++++++++++++++ FORM +++++++++++++++++++++++++

    This info will be submitted to RH for the statistical analysis
purposes blah! blah!

    a. Fedora Core (Version already filled up based on version installed)
    b. Unique Hardware ID : XXXXAAA3343434GGSDF (generated automatically)
    c. Where Fedora being used: SERVER/DESKTOP/WORKSTATION etc.
    d. Is this the RE-INSTALLATION/UPGRADE/NEW-INSTALLATION
installation? (YES/NO)
       If YES
       i) What was the previous Unique Hardware ID of this machine:
____________?
    e. Do you have previous Fedora User Account? (YES/NO)
    f. Username:________ Password:____________   (For Fedora Users
Database Account)

    SUBMISSION OPTIONS:
        [A]Submit Now
        [B]Submit Later
        [C]Save this info so I can email it
    ++++++++++++++++++++ END OF FORM ++++++++++++++++++++++

EXPLANATION OF FORM
===================
CONSIDERING SUBMISSION OPTION [A] AND [B]

I. IF FIRST TIME/NEW INSTALLATION OF FEDORA CORE

When User submits form.
(a) New user account will be created and the new Hardware ID along with
info will be submitted to database.
(b) This data is live served in web so others can see the Fedora
Installation base going down or up live (like stock exchange)
(c) User can login to website and check his/her submission (like how
many machine he have installed) or delete the submission once the OS
being not used anymore.

II. IF REINSTALL/UPGRADE

When user submits form.
(a) User will fill up his/her account
(b) User will fill up the Machine ID (in case he/she forgot, he can
always log in to website and check his submitted machine ID).
(c) Based on info the new info will be replace on old database. In this
case the re-installation is not counted as new installation.

CONSIDERING SUBMISSION OPTION [C]

(a) The form will be saved in a certain text format.
(b) The user will send the saved form text as mail message with certain
subhject to RH.
(c) Mail manager will interpret and do the necessary changes in the
database.

Here, user don't have to submit their personal info while helping RH to
determine the FC install base and the figure is verifiable live. This
gives Fedora users the power of being anonymous while proud user of
Fedora by registering their installation. I guess both party is in
Win-Win situation.

Sorry of the long explanation. This is the only way I can explain what I
have in my mind.