Fedora 6 install problems

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Fri Nov 24 21:18:52 UTC 2006

Ivan Kronkvist wrote:

> I bought a new PC (Dell Dimension w/ Pentium D) and
> installed Fedora 6 on it. All went fine and after the
> install the system was rebooted and I was able to log
> on. I then did shutdown and when I tried to boot up
> the next day, the bootup process hung after enabling
> disk quotas. I searched the archive and found a
> similar post that suggested that the graphics wasn't
> working. I rebooted with linux rescue, changed the
> runlevel to 3 in inittab, and now I saw a stack trace
> and a Segmentation Fault for the line in rc.sysinit
> that does a rm -rf on a bunch of things in /tmp.
>
> I have tried to reinstall, but my original DVD didn't
> work, the install got hung while resolving
> dependencies of the packets I want to install. I have
> downloaded Fedora 6 another 4 times and burned new
> DVDs, but the installation process complains on each
> of them that the DVD image is broken when I test the
> DVD before starting to install. (the original DVD
> passed before my initial install, but since has the
> same problem when I test it.) If I try to install from
> any of these DVDs, the install still hangs when
> resolving packages.
>
> I don't know if there is a hardware problem. It seems
> hard to imagine since it is a brand new PC and before
> I even started install linux, I booted up with the
> Windows XP that it came with and everything appeared
> to be fine. However, trying to reinstall Windows XP
> from the DVD I got in the purchase also fails. It
> somehow hangs while booting from the DVD giving me a
> blank screen.
>
> Any help or hints are welcome. I have installed RedHat
> on numerous PC's some years ago and never had any
> problems at all.

Personally, if I had that much trouble I would try
installing from the hard disk, if you have enough space on it.

Also I'd try running in text mode,
and disable selinux if the opportunity arose.

I had some trouble with Anaconda and CDs in Fedora 5,
but I cleaned all my CD readers and writers with a cheap lens cleaner,
and didn't have the same problems with Fedora 6.
However, that could perfectly well be a fluke.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366