networking with Samba

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Sat Nov 25 16:25:26 UTC 2006

On Saturday 25 November 2006 15:20, john s. wrote:
>   I know this is probably a stupid question, but I'd like to attach my
> laptop (FC6) to a Windows box. What are the steps for doing that? I'll
> need to assign the network name to the laptop too. I can network Win
> boxes together,

So you have a good idea of the things they need to know about each other.

> but don't have a PHD in networking... :)

You don't need one :-)

> I have two nics
> in the laptop and would like to keep one set up for the internet and one
> for a lan.

1. Use yum or your chosen gui for software installation.  Install samba,
samba-client and any dependencies it asks for.

2. Copy /etc/samba/smb.conf to a new file /etc/samba/smb.conf.orig - this is
your reference file.  It has long, helpful comments.  You want a short,
easy-readable one to work with, but you also need access to the advice in
that file.

3. Go through smb.conf, setting your network name and the bits that look
absolutely necessary when you think of how you did the windows networking.
If you are not sure of anything, leave it commented out or remove it.  You
can always copy and paste from the .orig file you saved.

Keep it as simple as possible.  You can get fancy later, when you have
something that works.  Ask any questions you like when you get to that stage.

Anne