Upgrade to FC6 takes very, very long time

Wade Hampton wadehamptoniv at gmail.com
Sat Nov 25 20:20:32 UTC 2006

The last couple of days, I upgraded two computers from FC4->FC6 and one from
FC5->FC6.
They all took 4-5 hours or more to upgrade.

  AMD 2800, FC4->FC6, via 10T network, took about 4 hours
  AMD x86_64 3000 desktop, FC4->FC6, images on local hard disk, about 3
hours
  AMD x86_64 3200 laptop, FC5->FC6, images on local disk (VFAT), about 20
hours

Any idea why it is taking so long to perform upgrades.  I have been doing
RH/Fedodra
updates for many, many years and have never had delays like this, especially
how
long it took to update the laptop.

Also, I have an old 600Mhz computer that I tried to upgrade from FC3->FC6,
but gave up
after a few hours.  I am wondering what I should put on that machine (128M
only,
maybe fresh install of FC6 or just use Knoppix or DSL?).

Any help would be most appreciated.

Cheers,
--
Wade Hampton