amandas group membership in FC6?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Nov 26 02:27:52 UTC 2006

On Saturday 25 November 2006 13:37, David G. Miller wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:

>>> You probably had the default of "Create private group for user" still
>>> checked when you created the user.  When that's checked, the user
>>> gets created and the default group for the user is set to a new group
>>> with the same name as the user.  You should still be able to change
>>> the default group to "disk" for your amanda user.  I run Gnome so I
>>> can't help you with the details.
>>
>> Useing kde-3.5.5, I didn't notice that option in the tools supplied.
>> There was Kusr, and something called user manager.  But the first time
>> I just ran 'adduser amanda'.
>
>See Anne's recent post and correction.  system-config-users lets you
>manipulate group membership, etc.

I'll have to join the chorus of objections here.  That tool doesn't seem
to be available anyplace on the kmenu.  If thats the 'approved' tool to
do that, then it needs to be a heck of a lot more accessible than buried
someplace in an sbin directory that you have to issue a 'locate
system-config' and see what falls out with a name that *might* indicate
it what you want.

>>> Dumb question: why didn't you just do a "yum install amanda
>>> amanda-client"?  It's much easier than building amanda and manually
>>> setting up the user, etc.
>>
>> 2 reasons,
>> 1) whats in the repos is often a year or more out of date, and due to
>> the restrictions of the rpm packaging system usually has permission
>> problems that can only be sorted correctly by nuking the rpm and
>> following the build instructions to install the tarball.  This is the
>> first time I've had problems installing a tarball in 6 years!
>>
>> 2) I'm one of the canaries in this particular coal mine, I make and
>> install the new snapshots as often as Jean-Louis releases them, so if
>> there are any gotcha's I can report back the next day on their lists.
>> Thats one of my contributions to your having the worlds best backup
>> software.
>
>I like my backup software to be VERY stable so I'll put up with whatever
>Fedora decides is sufficiently stable to include in their distro.

Fedora has taken perfectly good code, and broke it all to hell making it
fit in the rpm format, on several occasions.  Often the packager doesn't
use it himself, and has no idea how to go about throwing it out in the
street to see if it can survive in traffic.  Sorry if thats a bit too
candid an opinion, but back when I wanted to start using it, I screwed
around with whatever version was in rpm at the time for almost 3 months
fighting with perms, finally discovering the mailing list, and got
instructions on how to build it.  The result worked the first night.  And
every night since except for an obscure bug that effected several
snapshots in a row last spring, and a typo in the srcs of two snapshots,
probably 5 & 2 years ago.  Stable?  Yes, very.  We have 10x the trouble
with gnu.org's ongoing screwing with tar, to the extent we now have a
list of tars that work and tars that will not recover.  In that regard,
amanda is many times more stable that tar.  But you folks always think
tar is stable, so you go get the last release, make an rpm out of it, and
apparently never actually test it in the real world.  We do.  Every
night...

>From time to time one of the packagers checks into the list, and tries to
understand the problems.  But then like smoke in a whirlwind, gone again
for 2 years or more because we think this is a great time to get amanda
fixed, but your packager has thin skin & boogies.  To get an idea of what
it can do today, go get the latest snapshot from Jean-Louis's site at
umontreal, link near bottom of page at amanda.org, unpack it, and read
the ChangeLog.  I don't even know if it goes back as far as the version
fedora is currently shipping, but a lot of new capabilities have been
added since then, with the only backwards breakage being the timestamps
which once enabled in the wider format aren't compatible with
pre-timestamped archives that have only a date stamp.

>With regard to this problem:
>> [amanda at coyote GenesAmandaHelper-0.5]$ ls -l /mnt/hdb/home
>> total 36
>> drwxr-xr-x 21     33 disk   4096 Nov  8 23:37 amanda
>> drwx------  3 amanda amanda 4096 Nov  9  2004 elladene
>> drwx------ 14    502    502 4096 Nov 12  2002 elmer
>> drwx------ 36 gene   gene   4096 Nov  9 16:32 gene
>> drwx------  2 root   root   4096 Oct 22  2002 lost+found
>> drwx------  3    503    503 4096 Nov 21  2002 roadrunner
>> drwxr-xr-x 18 gene   gene   4096 Aug 14 03:42 shop
>> drwxr-xr-x 19   1000   1000 4096 Aug 13  2004 shop-gene
>> drwxr-xr-x  6   1002   1002 4096 Dec 14  2005 spamd
>
>find provides a mechanism for finding all of the files with a particular
>UID or GID and then doing whatever you'd like with them.  Something
>along the lines of:
>
>find / -uid 33 -exec chown amanda:disk {} \; -print
>
>The predicate -gid can be used with numeric group IDs.  If you want to
>confirm the changes, use -ok instead of -exec.

Valid for the FC2 tree's, amanda is 501 on FC6.  I probably am overdoing
it, but I (root) just 'chown -R amanda:disk *' from inside
the /home/amanda dir.

Point taken though.  Thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene