removing command from yum

James Wilkinson fedora at aprilcottage.co.uk
Sun Nov 26 16:38:41 UTC 2006

Alexa Pongracz wrote:
> I cannot update or install as I have to remove a command or a request
> from yum.
> When I go to update software I get the message: Cannot open read .xml
> file for repository jahshaka
>
> if I use the terminal To update I get this message:
> Cannot open read .xml file for repository jahshaka
>
>  http://repo.jahshaka.org/fedora/6/i386/repodata/repomd.xml:
> believe me I don't want to install this any more but need to get it out
> of my yum's memory or will have to reformat.  Any suggestions
> appreciated.

David Boles replied:
> You do not have to reformat.
>

> Do you remember how you installed this repo? Was it an rpm package? If so:
>
> yum remove <packagename>
>
> yum clean all
>
> yum update
>
> [y/N]  your choice

If you can't even get into yum to run yum remove, then
rpm -e <packagename>
will work. If you don't know what <packagename> is, then
rpm -qf /etc/yum.repos.d/*jahshaka*
will probably tell you. Or you could just try
rpm -qf /etc/yum.repos.d/*jahshaka* | xargs rpm -e

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail:     james@ | The winds, however, get very lazy that time of year; they
aprilcottage.co.uk | don't bother going around you, they just go right on