Learning FireFox and downloading video ?? - [SOLVED]

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Sun Nov 26 19:04:01 UTC 2006

hI ALL;

If others are having the same type problem, I got all the codecs and
plugins working properly.

On Fri, 2006-11-24 at 14:53 -0500, William Case wrote:
> Hi;
>
> I have embarked on figuring out how video etc. should work.  Up to now I
> just followed what I was told and banged random keys until it worked.  I
> got Firefox to use mplayer that way.
>
> I now want to take the time to figure out what I am doing and I need
> some stupidity help?
>
> For example; Firefox seems to grab video players, totem, mplayer,
> realplayer etc. at random as plugins.  I can't find anywhere that sets
> up which plugin to use ??.  Gstreamer talks about plugins for its use
> but doesn't indicate what plugs in where?  There are no -- at least I
> can't find -- man pages for gstreamer or its many variations
> (gst-inspect, gst-launch etc.)?  What is and how do I use the
> ~/.gstreamer-0.10/??
>
> Fedora includes totem and gstreamer as part of its base install yet
> everybody seems to be throwing it away and running something else.  That
> may be an easy solution but I would like to get both of them going.  And
> understand why.  There is lots to read but I am still at the greek stage
> of understanding.

Go to:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Multimedia

All the instructions for loading mplayer, totem, flash, RealPlayer etc.
on Fedora Core 6 are there.  Apparently, because of proprietary problems
Fedora has to be indirect in its info.  But, it is there.

--
Regards Bill