How does FC run on Dell Insiration?

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 26 22:04:43 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-11-26 at 20:25 +0000, Thierry Sayegh De Bellis wrote:

> Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > I'm probably going to buy a Dell Inspiration on eBay, but I'd like to
> > check first with you guys that FC will even run on the thing. Does
> > anybody else use this notebook? Any recommendations, or things that I
> > should know? Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Dotan Cohen
> >
> > http://what-is-what.com/what_is/love.html
> > http://english-lyrics.com/
> >
> you're reffering to a range of products..Inspiron is very vague.
> Can you be more specific?
> You might want to bear in mind that Dell tend to rebadge different
> chipsets, making it virtually impossible to warranty that the wifi card
> will work etc.

I second this. A story will illustrate the problem. I bought a Dell
Latitude D810 because three of my colleagues had them and it seemed to
work for them. To my surprise the one I bought had the best
configuration in that it had a ipw2200 wireless card a card that is well
supported by both Windows and Linux. The others got cards that had no
Linux driver for the wireless card and had to use ndiswrpper to get them
to work using the Windows drivers.

In general the Inspiron works for Linux but the model and Dell
configuration using there "just in time" inventory control may make some
easier to use under Linux then others.
You're almost as happy as you think you are.
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net