CW099D ATAPI CD-R/RW, Gnome CD Player, and desktop CD icons

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Mon Nov 27 00:15:55 UTC 2006

I have just installed an IDE CD burner which identifies itself as
"CW099D ATAPI CD-R/RW" in my desktop (FC5) after having used it for
two years in another machine strictly as a burner. In the desktop it
does fine burning and reading data CD-RWs. I put a music CD in it and
tried to run Gnome's CD player by right clicking on the desktop
image. Gnome's CD player crashed. When I had it run anyway, it
reported not finding any media in the drive. I have played the CD
sucessfully in other players and on other computers running FC6. I hit
the play button on the drive and got music on the sound card.

Just prior to installing this drive I took out an ancient SCSI CD
drive, which Gnome's CD Player sucessfully used. Gnome CD Player
reports that it is trying to use the IDE drive, but I wonder if there
is some configuration issue that did not get reset by the change.

I installed grip. It complained that /dev/cdrom did not exist. I
created it as an appropriate symlink, and grip ran just fine.

[root at charlesc ~]# ll /dev/cdrom* /dev/hdd
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root    root     14 Nov 26 16:55 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/cdrom-hdd
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root    root      3 Nov 24 09:44 /dev/cdrom-hdd -> hdd
brw------- 1 ccurley disk 22, 64 Nov 24 09:44 /dev/hdd

(I probably ought to have looked to see if I can change grip's
confiuration, but the symlink worked.)

I then tried gnome-cd from the command line and from the Gnome menu;
it ran fine. But trying to run it by right clicking on the desktop
icon continues to fail.