can't play avi file

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Mon Nov 27 01:41:20 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-11-25 at 23:31 -0800, Darlene Wallach wrote:

> It is a video of a session of a course on Haskell, a functional
> programming language, at a German University.
>
> I'm very disappointed I can't play the videos on my computer. I
> was looking forward to watching the videos to learn more about
> Haskell. Someone who has watched some of the videos recommends
> them highly.

Darlene,

Have you tried all the tips at: http://www.stanton-finley.net
If not, this guy is good. All the tips for FC5 are good for FC6. What I
do is go through them and use cut n paste to be sure I have his
information correctly used on my end. I use all of his audio/video
howtos and wind up with a perfectly working setup. I highly recommend
this to you, especially for java and flash. It's really easy to use,
even for a noob. (which you are clearly not) so this might be the answer
you seek.

I also have all the macromedia lib files in all three possible
locations, as well as java
(/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins  /usr/lib/firefox/plugins  ~/.mozilla/plugin
<--- note: no 's'.) I use java from java.com, flash from micromedia and
firefox from firefox, not from FC.

I also have mediaplayerconnectivity extension installed for playback of
audio/video added to firefox. Seems to work very well with an all-in-one
setup that is linux aware by searching for all of your apps installed! I
also use Ook to capture streams. It works well, too. That's about all I
have done to get my setup to do most any file.

Good luck from Siler City NC. Ric
(Nawth Carolanky to the locals)