networking with Samba

john s. john at johnsdesign.net
Mon Nov 27 02:59:28 UTC 2006

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Sunday 26 November 2006 17:21, john s. wrote:
>
>>   Its just me here... My aunt has old family photos (1897+); I packed up
>> the laptop and scanner and went through the first batch Friday. I have
>> one of the Windows boxes set up as storage only and would like to have
>> the photos in a more 'secure' (meaning its easier to swipe the laptop
>> than the box) place. Being able to access the printer would be a bonus.
>>   Sidenote- my aunt/uncle are in their 60's/70's; having me scan the
>> photos was quite a kick for them... They finally got a dvd player for
>> the tv, but haven't figured out how it works- scanning the photos into
>> the laptop was like rocket science. I was -very- impressed with the
>> scanner prog I was using; I've been working with Windows for 7-8 years
>> and the HP scanner program I've been using is -total- junk. I'm glad
>> I've been installing Fedora (and other builds) onto the boxes here...
>> I've been seeing how lame Windows really is.
>>

> If it were just to copy photos around, I'd say it's easier to just use a
> pen-drive, memory-stick or CD.  However, the remote printing alone is
> valuable enough to try for samba.  As Craig said, it's not very difficult,
> and you'll get any help you need from the list.
>
> BTW, what did you use for your scanner?  Just interested, as there are many
> possibilities and I haven't tried most of them.
>
> Anne

  I considered the usb toys; I have the cat5 crossover cable plugged
into the desktop- which would be easier to use than crawling around on
my hands and knees. There's three sets of kvm's, cables, computers and a
15# cat to deal with, while I'm down there.
  I used xane; I was looking at the photos again today, in different
lighting. I few of the photos will have to be done- though it seems as
though those were done towards the end of the project.  I looked at one
of the PDF's I created from a handwritten letter. The writing seemed a
little garbled...

                   John

--
ÐÏࡱá