HOstname - LInux - postfix

Norm ML maillist at sios.ca
Mon Nov 27 04:47:28 UTC 2006

Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Nov 2006, Guillermo Garron wrote:

>>> boot

>>> The same effect can be had by changing the hostname in the DNS tab of
>>> system-config-network.  Contents of /etc/hosts can be edited from the
>>> Hosts tab.
>> I did that, but it only really worked when i made what Norm said.
>>
>> seems like /etc/sysconfig/network can only be changed by editing it by
>> hand, I had to restart the server in order to have the changes
>> applied.
>
> As I said, this is false.  Change the name in the DNS tab of
> system-config-network and save your changes.  Then look at
> /etc/sysconfig/nework and see.
>
> You do have to restart after making this change, or you need to make
> other changes as described elsewhere in this thread.

I spent hours changing the name via the DNS tab of system-config-network
then changing the host file and rebooting only to find that the change
would not hold.  The only way to have the change hold was to edit
/etc/sysconfig/nework after a reboot and before the gui.  Any other
method or combination of methods did not hold during subsequent reboots.