Configuring ip address

Michael Satterwhite michael at weblore.com
Mon Nov 27 15:08:52 UTC 2006

I've come from kubuntu Linux, and I see different tools are used in
Fedora for network configuration.

In kubuntu, I was prompted for a machine name during install. After
getting the system up, I'd edit /etc/network/interfaces to set the
static ip address I want to use on my subnet, do an ifdown, ifup and I
was there.

In Fedora, I wasn't prompted for a machine name on the subnet, and there
is no /etc/network/interfaces file to edit. While I know this is just a
matter of getting used to a different way of doing things, I don't see
the silver bullet in the documentation (which probably means that it's
conspicuous and obvious - one of Murphy's Laws, I think).

Would someone be so kind as to help me get the the machine name set and
switch from the dynamic IP to a static ip on my subnet? I see the kde
network configurator, but (as this can really break things), I wanted to
check with you experts first.

As always - thanks in advance.

---Michael