Notebook

jim tate mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 27 15:26:19 UTC 2006

Andrea Bencini wrote:
> I would like to buy a notebook and to install FC6.
> Which one of these is the best to install FC6?
> HP
> ASUS
> ACER
> Toshiba
>
> Thank
> Andrea

Don't buy a Toshiba, linux and toshiba gets along like cats and dogs.
HP would be your best bet.
Be sure what ever you get,  it has a Mini-pci wireless card, preferably
with Intel, Atheros chipset.
A laptop with a Mini-pci slot built in will allow you to buy a Wireless
mini-pci card that will work with Linux.
You can buy mini-pci wireless cards on Ebay for around $30.00,
preferably  with Intel, Atheros chipset,
Atheros chipset uses the Linux Madwifi driver, Intel supports Linux.
I would venture to say most all hardware in Laptops Linux will detect,
Wireless is the major drawback.
Dell Plays good with Linux, but there support stinks, when the Laptop
goes out of warranty, you have to
have credit card in hand to even call them up to say "Good Morning"
HP is a big supporter of Linux and there support is probly the best out
there.

Jim