The mystery of lm-sensors

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Nov 27 16:58:16 UTC 2006

On Monday 27 November 2006 13:39, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Tom Horsley wrote:
> >> If you read the docs for lm_sensors you can see that the interpretation
> >> it does on the raw reading from the temperature sensor is grossly
> >> different depending on the type on sensor, the motherboard, phase of
> >> moon and so on, and there is nothing to check you have the correct
> >> sensor approximation or to calibrate it.
> >
> > Yep, the motherboard manufacturers never document how they have
> > this stuff hooked up. If you have Windows installed as an alternate
> > boot you can often install the manufacturer's monitor program (which
> > you'd think they would get right), and see what it says when running
> > windows, then get some idea of which lm_sensors stuff is which
> > by comparing it.
>
> I do run Windows also on this machine,
> but I don't know anywhere in Windows that the temperatures, etc, are shown.
> (This is almost certainly a reflection of my ignorance of Windows
> software.)

It sounds to me as though you are looking in the wrong place :-)  There is
usually a disk with the motherboard, that supplies drivers for any built-in
peripherals.  Often, too, there is a hardware monitoring program on the same
disk.  Check the disk - if it's there, install it.  It won't interfere with
linux, although the results will only be visible in windows.

> However, according to Bios Setup=>Power=>Hardware Monitor:
> -------------------------------------
> CPU Temperature: 66(C)
> MB Temperature: 25
>
> CPU Fan Speed: 1513RPM
>
> VCORE Voltage: 1.536V
> 3.3V Voltage: 3.328V
> 5V Voltage: 5.053V
> 12V Voltage: 11.520V
> which fits in pretty well with some of the lm-sensors readings.

ISTR that in the first message you said you were worried about those 'ALARM's.
It only means that an alarm is set for those features.  It's
user-configurable, so you can set it to when seems sensible for your
hardware.  Take a long look at /etc/sensors.conf.

HTH

Anne