xorg: not setting MTRR range register [Was: Re: Recent poor DVD playback performance]

Philip Walden pwaldenlinux at pacbell.net
Mon Nov 27 19:21:21 UTC 2006

Philip Walden wrote:

> Craig White wrote:

>>> Thanks for the tip. But I had already tried both avenues suggested:
>>> making sure to use xvideo and disk dma.
>>>
>>> It must be something else.
>>>

>> ----
>> what does top tell you? Where is your cpu power getting sucked away?
>> beagled?
>>

> I have also been looking into MTRR settings. I was told that current X
> servers would set these automatically, but looking at mine, it does
> not seem to be working:
> reg00: base=0x00100000 (   1MB), size= 256MB: write-back, count=1
>
> From Xorg.0.log I get:
> PCI:*(1:5:0) nVidia Corporation NV5 [RIVA TNT2/TNT2 Pro] rev 21, Mem @
> 0xf5000000/24, 0xfc000000/25
>
> So the MTRR does not look right.

I ran across this in the debian buglist:

"xorg: not setting MTRR range register...Starting with Xorg 7.0, X
server is not setting MTRR range register
for framebuffer to write-combining which means that display output is
twice slower than before (or using twice as much CPU, depending on the
view)...These bugs should be fixed in the X server and drivers from
X.Org 7.1"

Could this be happening in FC5 too?