Can an LCD display be damaged by the wrong display output?

Rick Bilonick rab at nauticom.net
Tue Nov 28 12:06:34 UTC 2006

I have a Planar 20" PL2010M LCD monitor. I attached it to an Athlon 64
system running FC6 and using the nvidia proprietary driver (the latest
available). I tried (foolishly) the 1920x1080 interlaced output. The
monitor said it was outside the range. I reset to 1600x1200
noninterlaced and everything was fine. Later I connected a similar
computer (running FC5) that was displaying 1920x1080i (same nvidia card
- 5700LE or such). I noticed my mistake right away and I immediately
disconnected the monitor. Now, the PL2010M won't display anything. The
on light switches quickly from green to a constant yellow and displays
"no input signal" on the screen regardless of whether I'm using the
analog or digital input. I can no longer bring up the setup menu (e.g.,
to change from analog to digital) - no menu whatsoever. I called Planar
and they said it wouldn't damage the display but it seems like too much
of a coincidence.

Rick B.