Getting Fedora to work

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Tue Nov 28 12:08:04 UTC 2006

Tim wrote:

> ulrich:
>>> I think it's a good idea to have the systems XP und FC on different
>>> drives.
>
> Timothy Murphy:
>> Why?
>> What difference does it make?
>
> Ease of updates, for either.  You can, very *simply* wipe off an entire
> disc and re-use it.

Why do you want to "wipe off" an entire disk?
I've never felt any urge to do this.
In any case, what is the "very simple" way of doing this?
Personally, I remove the partitions I don't want,
and create the partitions I do want.

> You can unplug one drive, and work with the other by itself.  That can
> be handy for sorting out problems.

I can't think of any problem this would help with,
except possibly to determine if the drive was working.
In fact removing one drive is far more likely to cause problems
than solve them (eg if part of grub was on the drive you removed).

> If you want to optimise what partitions are where on the disc, to speed
> up access seeking, it's easier to do so for either OS, individually.

I doubt if it makes the slightest difference.
In so far as it makes any sense,
I would have thought you would get a tiny improvement if both OSes
were distributed over both disks.

> It's really only physical issues, like those, that I can see as reasons
> for doing it.

In my view it was silly advice,
since it might lead a Linux newbie to suppose that there is some advantage
in getting a second disk,
which in my opinion is completely unnecessary.

There are enough problems installing Fedora
without inventing imaginary ones.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366