SSH, SaMBa, & NFS?

Ingemar Nilsson init at pdc.kth.se
Tue Nov 28 15:07:03 UTC 2006

Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> writes:

> I can't think why you'd want to mess with the loopback.  The local
> loopback address is for the machine to refer to itself.  It's not for
> remote usage.

In Windows this is necessary though, since Windows can only use filesharing
services on the standard ports, not specify other ports like with mount in
*nix. If you have Windows filesharing enabled on computer A and want to
connect to a remote SMB server B through an SSH tunnel, the tunnel endpoint
has to be bound to the loopback interface of computer A, since its SMB port
is already busy due to filesharing being enabled.

Regards
Ingemar