PC Speaker... yet again

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at comcast.net
Tue Nov 28 20:51:48 UTC 2006

Eli Barzilay wrote:
> Marc Schwartz <marc_schwartz at comcast.net> writes:
>
>> Eli Barzilay wrote:
>>> I just upgraded a machine from FC2 to FC6, and I have another with
>>> FC5, and on both FC6 and FC5 the speaker is no longer working.  I
>>> have the modprobe pcspkr
>>>
>>> in my rc.local (which, IIUC, should not be necessary on FC6 by
>>> default), and I tried to manually rmmod it and modprobe it back in
>>> -- nothing works.  I also tried playing around with the alsa
>>> configuration, misc gui configurations and nothing gets it back
>>> on.  Does anyone have an idea how to get the damn speaker working
>>> again?
>> In FC6, open the Volume Control. Go to the Switches tab and make
>> sure that the "External Amplifier" checkbox is checked.
>>
>> If the "External Amplifier" box is not present, go to Edit, then
>> Preferences, scroll down to the bottom and check "External
>> Amplifier" there. Then it should show on the Switches tab.
>
> No, that still doesn't make it work.

OK...some other thoughts here.  Be sure that the "PC Speaker" and "PCM"
volume control sliders are not at the minimum setting and/or are muted.

If those sliders are not showing, same thing as above, go into Edit,
then Preferences and make sure that it is checked.

Also note if any other possibly relevant sliders are at minimum or
muted. Take note of which control is being adjusted using the volume
control mini-applet on the panel. Right click on the applet, bring up
the Preferences menu and see which track is selected.

Marc