ssh -X shop problem...

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Tue Nov 28 21:50:03 UTC 2006

Gene Heskett wrote:
> I hear a hearty chorus of Amen's to that.  Frankly, linux
> documentation is in far worse shape than it was in 1997, mostly
> because of the forking away from the universal manpage that has been
> done to the doc format.  I don't know of the times I've needed to
> look at something in docbook format, even coming to this list to ask
> what others are using to view/print those things, and have been
> universally ignored, I assume because everyone is supposed to know
> WTF a docbook file is. Heck, just a simple little menu choice called
> "docbook reader" would suit 99% of this, but in the 5 years since
> everyone got on that bandwagon, I've yet to see a reference that
> says what is to be used to read them with.

Can you give some examples of when you find a need to read raw docbook
documentation?  I thought that docbook was for creating xml or sgml
that would be converted to another format for end-user viewing.  See
the docbook2... commands in the docbook-utils package.

In the case of the difference between the -X and -Y options to ssh,
the format of the documentation isn't at all the issue, it's the
content I believe Les was referring to.

When is the last time government admitted it might have made a mistake
and canceled a program?
    --  Thomas Bray