ssh -X shop problem...

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Tue Nov 28 23:45:56 UTC 2006

Gene Heskett wrote:
> I hear a hearty chorus of Amen's to that.  Frankly, linux documentation is
> in far worse shape than it was in 1997, mostly because of the forking
> away from the universal manpage that has been done to the doc format.  I
> don't know of the times I've needed to look at something in docbook
> format, even coming to this list to ask what others are using to
> view/print those things, and have been universally ignored, I assume
> because everyone is supposed to know WTF a docbook file is.

docbook files are normally converted to other formats, like troff (man)
or HTML.  This way, documentation can be maintained in a single readable
(more or less) format and converted to a variety of formats.

Linux documentation doesn't suck because of docbook.  It sucks because
there aren't a lot of people who are interested in writing
documentation, not many with the discipline to do it anyway, and not
enough being paid to write it.