Can an LCD display be damaged by the wrong display output?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Nov 29 10:37:25 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-11-28 at 07:06 -0500, Rick Bilonick wrote:
> I have a Planar 20" PL2010M LCD monitor. I attached it to an Athlon 64
> system running FC6 and using the nvidia proprietary driver (the latest
> available). I tried (foolishly) the 1920x1080 interlaced output. The
> monitor said it was outside the range. I reset to 1600x1200
> noninterlaced and everything was fine. Later I connected a similar
> computer (running FC5) that was displaying 1920x1080i (same nvidia card
> - 5700LE or such). I noticed my mistake right away and I immediately
> disconnected the monitor. Now, the PL2010M won't display anything.

I can't imagine an LCD monitor failing for that sort of reason. CRTs get
damaged, that way, because the EHT used to drive the tube is derived
from the video signals (directly or indirectly).  The voltage changes
with the frequency, and can go too far from tolerable.

LCDs don't work that way.  Their power isn't related to the incoming
video signal.  I'd be more inclined to believe three things:

1:  You're plugging it into something that's not providing a useable
signal, so you're not seeing anything.

2:  Damage to the video connectors or cables.

3:  Pure chance that a fault developed at the same time.  It could well
be that if you'd picked up the monitor, and not done anything else but
move it, that a fault might have developed.

I read messages from the public lists.