files

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Wed Nov 29 18:44:22 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-11-30 at 02:22 +1030, Tim wrote:
> Jacques B.:
> >> grep -ir "^put sentence here$" *
>
> Ingemar Nilsson:
> > Note that this will only match if the sentence is on a line by itself,
> > since ^ and $ means beginning of line and end of line respectively.
>
> Are you sure about that?  I thought they just meant that the string
> begins with, and ends with, the enclosed characters.  I didn't think
> they actually refered to end-of-line indicators, the same markers are
> used in wildcarding where there isn't a notion of "lines" (e.g. URIs).

Using a URI is not the same as having the bash shell interpret the
command line.
In bash (and regexes) in the format used above the ^ literally means
"line begins with" and the $ means "line ends with"

To have it match anywhere in the line you must remove those special
characters.

Try it yourself if you need proof.