Very Basic Question

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Wed Nov 29 22:50:29 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-11-27 at 11:52 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 27, 2006 at 10:50:49AM -0600, Michael Satterwhite wrote:
> > This is something I consider a weakness of almost every distribution's
> > package manager. Periodically, I need to know where a package was put
> > when it was installed. In this case, I'm looking for ysql-connector-java
> > - but the more important question is "how do I ask yum / rpm / ??? where
> > it installed package A". I've looked at the man, but the only command
> > that seemed like it *MIGHT* work was yum info ... and it told me
> > everything except what I needed to know.
>
> rpm -ql packagename
>

> To look at an uninstalled package, do "rpm -qlp packagefile.rpm". (Or, just
> view it in less and scroll down -- magic.)
>

> --
> Matthew Miller           mattdm at mattdm.org          <http://mattdm.org/>
> Boston University Linux      ------>              <http://linux.bu.edu/>

The path that you are exercising to the binary of most commands is
revealed by the command "which".
For example, "which evolution" returns "/usr/bin/evolution".

In some cases the install will create a directory which contains the
full application, and then which will show only the link to the
executable.  However if you then do " ls -al path/file" using the info
returned by the which command you will see the link that is being
followed.

[me at localhost ~]$ which evolution
/usr/bin/evolution
[me at localhost ~]$ ls -al /usr/bin/evolution
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 Nov  4 19:52 /usr/bin/evolution
-> ./evolution-2.8
[me at localhost ~]$ ls -al /usr/bin/evolution-2.8
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 140248 Oct 27 07:02 /usr/bin/evolution-2.8

Regards,
Les H