What hostname do you use on your computer?

Knute Johnson linux at rabbitbrush.frazmtn.com
Thu Nov 30 00:11:25 UTC 2006

Thierry Sayegh De Bellis wrote:

> Knute Johnson wrote:
>> Thierry Sayegh De Bellis wrote:

>>> have you thought of having an internal dns setup? For the relaying to
>>> work you'd need to have a dns record for the workstation and at the
>>> moment this machine is not 'resolvable'.
>>> Why don't you just give a hostname that is not a fqdn if you don't run a
>>> DNS server?
>>>
>>> - --
>>> (o<    Thierry Sayegh De Bellis, RHCE
>> OK, so if I just set the hostname to 'knute' then what do I want in my
>> hosts file, /etc/hosts file and in my /etc/sysconfig/network files?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
> assuming the machine has a static IP (on your LAN)
> /etc/hosts looks like
> 127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain
> <your IP> 	knute
>

> /etc/sysconfig/network
> NETWORKING=yes
> HOSTNAME=knute
>
> hth
>
> - --
> (o<    Thierry Sayegh De Bellis, RHCE

So now sendmail hangs on startup for about 2 minutes.  There must be
something else to set?

Thanks,

knute...

[knute at knute ~]$ hostname
knute

[knute at knute ~]$ cat /etc/hosts
::1     localhost.localdomain   localhost
192.168.3.5     knute

[knute at knute ~]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network
NETWORKING=yes
NETWORKING_IPV6=yes
HOSTNAME=knute
[knute at knute ~]$