Restricted Shell

Tim Jackson lists at timj.co.uk
Thu Nov 30 08:12:57 UTC 2006

Jaigh Jaddo wrote:

> I would like to give users access to ftp, sftp and scp without access to
> the shell.

OK, first of all you're dealing with 2 different things here:

- stuff done over ssh (sftp, scp)
- ftp

You seem a bit confused because for the latter of those (ftp), shell
access is rarely an issue: most (all?) FTP servers don't give someone
shell access. So that's fine and you can just go right ahead and pick an
FTP server (I recommend vsftpd, which comes with Fedora - it's small,
simple and lets you do chroot with no hassle)

So, the main problem is scp and sftp which, being subsystems of OpenSSH,
often imply shell access. For these, rssh will help you.

I don't think you're going to find something which is all of an FTP
server plus shell protection for OpenSSH, because that would be just
weird, architecturally, since FTP and SSH are completely unconnected.

So in summary, you just need an FTP server, plus rssh behind OpenSSH.

Tim