installing kernel.org kernels

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Thu Nov 30 12:52:47 UTC 2006

On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 07:43:07AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:

 > > > 2. Trying to do this as a user rather than root because you all decry
 > > > my running everything as root.  To that end I have broken my 'makeit'
 > > > script in two, doing all the building as myself and leaving the
 > > > installation to a separate script that must be run as root.  This
 > > > seems to work, but is there a way to run as the common user and still
 > > > have rights to install the modules in /lib/modules/$kernelver, and to
 > > > install the pieces and links in /boot that are required to achieve a
 > > > working boot?
 > >
 > >sudo ?
 >
 > For another 30+ lines of script?  I'd have to study up on wrapping that
 > one up correctly.

sudo make modules_install
sudo make install

That's all you need to do.

 > Side comment here.  I know my present .config is probably building quite a
 > few more modules that I don't need since I started with a make oldconfig,
 > but can that explain why a kernel build that a month ago on gcc-3.3.4
 > took 10 to 11 minutes, it now taking nearly 30 minutes to do with this
 > newer compiler suite FC6 installs?

A big time saver when building your own kernels is to make sure
CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO is disabled. This speeds up the linking stage considerably.
Another big performance win (for recompiles) is to use ccache.

		Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk