How to configure wireless network card

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Thu Nov 30 13:00:35 UTC 2006

Matthew Saltzman wrote:

>> I do not have a ~/.gconf/system directory at all....
>
> Then you aren't using NetworkManager.

In my experience, NM just adds another layer of obfuscation
to an already confusing (and confused) setup.
I found after a lot of experiment (and requests on the NM mailing list)
that NM just did not work with my WiFi card,
a standard (if old) Orinoco Gold PCMCIA card.
Basically, it tried to turn the card to a mode it did not support.

The support for WiFi under Fedora is unbelievably bad.
There are files all over the place that might or might not
have some relevance.

> Most of the settings you care about can be manipulated in
> system-config-network.  Most of those are in
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth*.

In my experience - admittedly not for some time -
system-config-network is liable to make a bad situation even worse.

> If you use NetworkManager, profiles of wireless networks you have visited
> are kept in the .gconf subdir and keys are kept in your GNOME keyring.

Are you saying that you have to use GNOME in order to use NM?
Wouldn't surprise me.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366