gcc bug

William Murray W.J.Murray at rl.ac.uk
Thu Nov 30 13:07:34 UTC 2006

 Hi guys,
         I think I found a gcc bug in gcc-4.1.1-30.
I tried to compile root v 5.12.00f
http://root.cern.ch/root/Version512.html
on a FC6 system, and it failed, complaining that:

g++ -O  -pipe -Wall -W -Woverloaded-virtual -fPIC -Iinclude  -pthread
-DUSEPCH -include precompile.h -o proof/src/TProofDraw.o -c
proof/src/TProofDraw.cxx
include/TProofDraw.h:226: error: parse error in template argument list
make: *** [proof/src/TProofDraw.o] Error 1

The critical line being:

   ~TProofVectorContainer<T>() { delete fVector; }

which in and of itself doesn't look too bad.

Anyway, I happened to have a system with gcc-4.1.1-31 from rawhide
on it, and this works fine. Upgrade my FC6 gcc rpms and all is well.

  Is there a good reason why this (presumably known) fix cannot
be used on FC6?
       Bill