FC6: why is microphone always disabled after reboot

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 15:27:59 UTC 2006

On 30/11/06, Pavel Lisý <pali at tmapy.cz> wrote:
> Ian Malone píše v Čt 30. 11. 2006 v 11:07 +0000:
> > Pavel Lisý wrote:
> >

> > > Problem is that I cannot find right volume control button for this when
> > > I have gnome-volume-control started with ALSA device. There is not
> > > Microphone on Capture TAB. I am incl
> > >
> > > This is maybe reason why:
> > > alsactl store
> > > alsactl restore
> >
> > You're right, these will only save or load the current mixer settings
> > to and from the default.  If you can't enable the microphone in the
> > current settings they won't help.
> >
> > > don't work. I thought I made it that by this:
> > >
> > > I have this in /etc/modprobe.conf:
> > > install snd-emu10k1 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-emu10k1 \
> > >    && /usr/sbin/alsactl restore 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
> > > remove snd-emu10k1 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 \
> > >    || : ; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-emu10k1
> > >
> > > How I can set it through ALSA TABs in gnome-volume-control?
> > >

> > This is maybe one for the alsa-users list, however:
> > Does volume control|edit|preferences have an option to
> > enable the microphone?
> > Does the output of "$ amixer" appear to display anything
> > microphone related?
> BINGO!
>
> I found this:
> iface=MIXER,name='Capture Source'
>
> When I set Mic ON through gnome-volume-control started with OSS device
> value changed to 5,5
>

> amixer -c 0 cget iface=MIXER,name='Capture Source'
> -----
> numid=64,iface=MIXER,name='Capture Source'
>   ; type=ENUMERATED,access=rw------,values=2,items=8
>   ; Item #0 'Mic'
>   ; Item #1 'CD'
>   ; Item #2 'Video'
>   ; Item #3 'Aux'
>   ; Item #4 'Line'
>   ; Item #5 'Mix'
>   ; Item #6 'Mix Mono'
>   ; Item #7 'Phone'
>   : values=5,5
> -----
>
> I can set it this way too:
>
> amixer -c 0 cset iface=MIXER,name='Capture Source' 0,0
> -----
> numid=64,iface=MIXER,name='Capture Source'
>   ; type=ENUMERATED,access=rw------,values=2,items=8
>   ; Item #0 'Mic'
>   ; Item #1 'CD'
>   ; Item #2 'Video'
>   ; Item #3 'Aux'
>   ; Item #4 'Line'
>   ; Item #5 'Mix'
>   ; Item #6 'Mix Mono'
>   ; Item #7 'Phone'
>   : values=0,0
> -----
>
> This does not have alternative Control in gnome-volume-control
> started with ALSA device even in alsamixer
>
> I think, something changed inside alsa and
> gnome-volume-control/alsamixer does not know it yet.
>
> Can I set this somewhere in alsa config files or I have to run it by
> script after every reboot?

If you set it via amixer then use alsactl store that should
add it to the default. It probably also needs to be filed as
a bug somewhere (probably against Alsa) if the control
can't be made to show up in the gnome volume control
through the preferences menu (I had a similar problem
a while back with digital capture not showing up).

--
imalone