Samba Problem - Almost there

Michael Satterwhite michael at weblore.com
Thu Nov 30 17:37:21 UTC 2006

Craig White wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-11-30 at 09:45 -0600, Michael Satterwhite wrote:
>> OK, I'm not sure what change did it, but I can connect to *SOME* of my
>> shares. I have one more that I can't seem to connect to. The definition
>> in smb.conf is
>>
>> 	[windows]
>> 	case sensitive = no
>> 	msdfs proxy = no
>> 	read only = no
>> 	comment = windows directory
>> 	path = /windows
>>

>> This is the vfat partition holding my windows setup. The fstab entry
>> makes the partition readable / writable by anyone. When I try to attach
>> this partition, I get a "The Network Name Cannot be found."
>>
>> Obviously, the windows box knows about the name as it displays it for me
>> to select - and the setup looks right to me. What am I missing?
> ----
> possibly selinux block - is selinux active?

No. I'd read enough on the list not to trust it, so I disabled it during
install.

> is the share visible if you try from the linux client...
>
> smbclient -L NETBIOS_NAME

Yes, I can see it in that display - remember that it's visible on the
windows machine, too ... I just can't attach it.

> does executing...
>
> testparm -s
>
> reveal any errors?

No errors.

...at least I haven't done anything *OBVIOUS* <g> Part of me hates it
when that happens - another part likes it cause it leads to a quick
solution.