Samba Problem - Almost there

Scott van Looy scott at ethosuk.org.uk
Thu Nov 30 17:43:10 UTC 2006

Today Michael Satterwhite did spake thusly:

> Craig White wrote:
>> On Thu, 2006-11-30 at 09:45 -0600, Michael Satterwhite wrote:
>>> OK, I'm not sure what change did it, but I can connect to *SOME* of my
>>> shares. I have one more that I can't seem to connect to. The definition
>>> in smb.conf is
>>>
>>> 	[windows]
>>> 	case sensitive = no
>>> 	msdfs proxy = no
>>> 	read only = no
>>> 	comment = windows directory
>>> 	path = /windows
>>>

>>> This is the vfat partition holding my windows setup. The fstab entry
>>> makes the partition readable / writable by anyone. When I try to attach
>>> this partition, I get a "The Network Name Cannot be found."
>>>
>>> Obviously, the windows box knows about the name as it displays it for me
>>> to select - and the setup looks right to me. What am I missing?
>> ----
>> possibly selinux block - is selinux active?
>
> No. I'd read enough on the list not to trust it, so I disabled it during
> install.
>
>> is the share visible if you try from the linux client...
>>
>> smbclient -L NETBIOS_NAME
>
> Yes, I can see it in that display - remember that it's visible on the
> windows machine, too ... I just can't attach it.
>
>> does executing...
>>
>> testparm -s
>>
>> reveal any errors?
>
> No errors.
>
> ...at least I haven't done anything *OBVIOUS* <g> Part of me hates it
> when that happens - another part likes it cause it leads to a quick
> solution.

There's a bug which might still be open where if a directory has too many
files in it it'll not work when you try and mount it under linux - or are
you trying to mount it under windows?

--
Scott van Looy - email:me at ethosuk.org.uk | web:www.ethosuk.org.uk
site:www.freakcity.net - the in place for outcasts since 2003