Yum: Segmentation fault...

Tony Nelson tonynelson at georgeanelson.com
Thu Nov 30 18:18:17 UTC 2006

At 7:29 AM -0400 11/30/06, Rodolfo Alcazar wrote:
>On Wed, 2006-11-29 at 15:30 -0500, Tony Nelson wrote:
>> At 11:39 AM -0500 11/29/06, Ray Pittigher wrote:
>> >I had the same problem and did
>> >
>> >rpm --initdb
>> >rpm --rebuilddb
>> >
>> >and it all worked after
>>
>> After "rpm --initdb" you have an empty RPM database.  After "rpm
>> --rebuilddb" you still have an empty RPM database.  See what "rpm -qa" says.
>
>Look this output, I tried this home, also. My office FC6 rpm database is
>yet fixed and no more segmentation faults:
>
>[rap] /root # rpm --initdb
>[rap] /root # rpm -qa | head
>mktemp-1.5-23.2.1
>libxml2-2.6.23-1.2
>audiofile-0.2.6-2.2.1
>libacl-2.2.34-1.2
>mailx-8.1.1-44.2.1
>speex-1.0.5-1.2.1
>procmail-3.22-16.2.1
>libusb-0.1.11-2.2
>libXrender-0.9.0.2-3.2
>libXfixes-3.0.1.2-2.2
>[rap] /root # rpm --rebuilddb
>[rap] /root # rpm -qa | head
>libusb-0.1.11-2.2
>libtheora-1.0alpha5-1.2.1
>numactl-0.6.4-1.27
>libXft-2.1.8.2-3.2
>libwvstreams-4.2.1-2
>urw-fonts-2.3-6.1
>xorg-x11-drv-dummy-0.1.0.5-1.2
>bitstream-vera-fonts-1.10-5.1
>distcache-1.4.5-13
>libXmu-devel-1.0.0-2.2
>[rap] /root #
>
>> Don't do "rpm --initdb" unless you are willing to re-install all the
>> packages you already have (using --justdb).
>
>After that procedure, I was afraid of losing something, cause its the
>first time I tried this, and realizing now there was a risk. Luckily yum
>check-update worked fine. Also by home.
>
>>From the manual:
>
>"Use --initdb to create a new database, use --rebuilddb to rebuild the
>database indices from the installed package headers."
>
>Anyway, thanks, Tony. If you can be more specific about what should we
>lose if making an initdb, please let us know.

You are correct.  I was repeating advice I had seen many times, which
advice appears to be wrong.  Looking at the source code for RPM, I think
that it tries to open the database, creating it if it is absent.  Running
"rpm -vv --initdb --dbpath /my/saved/database" only mentions opening the
Packages file, which was left untouched.  Doing "rpm -vv --verifydb"
mentions each database file, so I think that --initdb must be opening only
the Packages file, and not removing any files.