FC5 upgrade gdm appears hosed

Jim Duda jim at duda.tzo.com
Thu Nov 30 18:35:01 UTC 2006

I recently upgraded one of my computers from FC4 to FC5.  I've done two others, which went smoothly.  Something odd
happened with this one.

The main login screen isn't working properly.  It simply hangs with the progress cursor running
in the circular motion.  If I CTL-ALT-F12 and kill xwindows, then login and use startx, the gnome desktop appears.  A
few minutes later, gdm attempts to run again and my gnome session is lost.

I have them processes running ...

 5016 ?        S      0:07 /usr/sbin/gdm-binary -nodaemon
31812 ?        S      0:00 /usr/sbin/gdm-binary -nodaemon
31824 tty7     Ss+    0:00 /usr/bin/Xorg :0 -audit 0 -auth /var/gdm/:0.Xauth -nolisten tcp vt7
31865 ?        Ss     0:00 /usr/sbin/gdm-binary -nodaemon
31866 ?        Ss     0:00 /usr/sbin/gdm-binary -nodaemon
2

I believe I should have gdm running and not gdm-binary ?

Any ideas on what might have gone wrong in the upgrade?

Thanks,

Jim