installing kernel.org kernels

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Nov 30 20:18:35 UTC 2006

On Thursday 30 November 2006 08:01, Dave Jones wrote:
>On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 07:58:37AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > >sudo make modules_install
> > >sudo make install
> > >
> > >That's all you need to do.
> >
> > Don't forget sudo mkinitrd, it won't run unless by root. :)
>
>make install does that for you

I haven't done a "make install" in quite a while as it managed to trash me
to the extent I had to boot in rescue mode from a cd and fix it. Several
times in years past.  So my script does all its own copying and linking
chores.  Generally, barring typu's in my script editing as the versions
change, it Just Works(TM).  I first wrote this script back about RH6.1,
and have tried to keep it up2date with the new methods, which is why I'm
asking for directions here.

> > My script starts with a make clean for correctness.  How would/does
> > ccache work?
>
>timestamps and checksums of the source files (to find out if they
> changed since the last build) and a cache of compiled objects in
> ~/.ccache/

That dir doesn't exist here except in /root, and that listing doesn't
indicate its useful to me.  Is this some utility I need to install to
enable it?  To me, it would make more sense to keep it as a subdir in the
src tree.  But maybe I'm just being jurrasic too.

--
Cheers Dave & thanks, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)