installing kernel.org kernels

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Nov 30 21:50:26 UTC 2006

On Thursday 30 November 2006 16:43, Dave Jones wrote:
>On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 04:32:44PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > >yum install ccache should dtrt.
> >
> > Mmm, reading the manpage isn't very concise about how to use it. I
> > don't have a (G)CC env var set, but it looks like that method could
> > be used (something like "CC=ccache; export CC" maybe) , so I have to
> > ask can it, so my scripts, which do all this with a "make bzImage" or
> > "make modules" commands apparently wouldn't need any changes?
>
>after installing it, 'which cc' should point to ccache automatically
>rather than gcc, so you shouldn't have to do anything different than
>your usual build process.  After building once, ccache -s should
>show some stats for the stuff in cache. A subsequent make should
>result in the 'cache hit' number being higher.
>
>		Dave

I hate to be dense, but thats not what the yum install ccache seems to
have done:
[root at coyote linux-2.6.19]# ls -l `which cc`
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Nov  9 08:33 /usr/bin/cc -> gcc
[root at coyote linux-2.6.19]# which gcc
/usr/bin/gcc
[root at coyote linux-2.6.19]# ls -l `which gcc`
-rwxr-xr-x 2 root root 197448 Oct 11 09:49 /usr/bin/gcc

I don't see any ccache mentions. :(

So I follow the manpage case 2 procedure I guess?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)