firefox slow rendering (e.g. wikipedia)

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Nov 30 23:00:41 UTC 2006

On Thursday 30 November 2006 17:30, David Boles wrote:
>Ian Malone wrote:
>> taharka wrote:
>>> How do again,

>>> I suggest you go to the link Scott provided you & read the
>>> documentation for that extension for yourself. If it's still unclear,
>>> there's a link to the authors site. His site will tell you anything
>>> you want to know regarding the noscript extension ;-) Plus, you can
>>> email him.
>>
>> I'd agree Clodoaldo's response wasn't really necessary,
>> however he's right that the JavaScript heavy sites tend
>> to be ones like Gmail that need it.  I'm also not really
>> happy with use Konqueror/Opera/A Mac type answers because
>> I know FF on the same machine under windows works fine,
>> and I doubt that it's windows causing the difference.
>>
>> I've just tried the binary version of 1.5.0.8 from
>> Mozilla and it won't run (seemingly library problems),
>> maybe I'll give 2.0 a go.
>
>Get the Firefox 2.0 from Mozilla. It is much improved over 1.5.0.8 and
>the Mozilla Firefox runs and displays much faster than the Fedora rpms.

Unforch its also very unstable, I've had to let the process killer kill it
dozens of times.

>After you have installed Firefox run it from a terminal window and it
>will tell you what compat library file it is missing.
>
>yum what provides <name>
>
>will tell you the exact name of the compat library package that you need
>to install.

Maybe that will fix it, but my niece asked me how to get rid of it after
I'd put the winderz version on her Xp box.  It was silently locking up
just like my linux version was.  I told her where to get 1.5.0.8 as I was
400 miles away by the time she yelled help.  That'll teach me to do
someone what I think is a favor with a release that was 8 hours old when
I did it.  Dumb is what it was.  :(

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)