server command?

David C. Chipman dchipman at ican.net
Sun Oct 1 03:08:07 UTC 2006

	Hi Jim,

> I am trying to test a Postfix SASL config and it asked me to run this
> command to test...
>
> server -s rcmd -p 8000
>
> I get a "command not found error"
>
> ..can someone shed some light on this please...

		First of all, the error message is telling you there is
no command called "server". Second of all, the command you are looking
for is "sendmail", and *third* of all, it is in /usr/sbin, which is only
in root's PATH variable. To find it (without providing th efull path
yourself, which you now should be able to, ;) ) you'll have to use 'su
-l', enter your 'root' password, then try running sendmail, with the
command you've been given. I don't know where the SASL-specific stuff
is, but to run the command, that is the program you're looking for (I'd
imagine). I hope this helps you,

			-David Chipman