smart package mgr question?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sun Oct 1 09:08:46 UTC 2006

On Sat, Sep 30, 2006 at 08:29:10PM -0700, norm wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 21:52:55 -0400
> Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:
>
> > On Saturday 30 September 2006 21:46, norm wrote:
>
> > >Ran Smart Package Manger once and never again.  I had to reload many
> > >of the applications I prefer to use after smart  package decide to
> > >remove them.  The worst thing was it decide to force the issue on the
> > >gnome/kde debate.  Smart Package decide I was not to use gnome
> > >removed it and loaded kde for me instead.  In the end I had such a
> > >mess that the best thing to do was a full reinstal.
> > >Norm
> >
> > Humm, now that doesn't sound exactly like a ringing recommendation
> > for whats supposed to be, and is being sold as, the next generation
> > package manager.
> >
> I gave it a try because of its billing as the next generation package
> manager, never again.  Smart package manager is not ready for prime
> time yet.

Well, let's be fair. As someone already mentioned at the very least
smart will have warned the user that this was about to happen and
obviously the user was novice/sloppy enough to just let it happen.

And given that smart detects broken dependencies and tries to cure the
system by either installing more packages, or if that isn't possible
to drop others, I can imagine that the same user had broken the
dependencies on his system by various means (one of them could be
blindly rpm --nodeps'ing an other half-rawhiding the system). Of
course, this is wild guessing, since a report w/o details like "smart
like kde better than gnome" is not helpful for anyone.

But smart has a switch called --explain, that can be used to
understand why smart chose to do suggest some things. People with
broken dependenices are usually surprised to see their sins outlayed in
front of them ;)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net