Suggestions for e-mail client:

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Oct 1 09:48:20 UTC 2006

On Sunday 01 October 2006 00:55, Ric Moore wrote:

> Anne, when I get your email from this list there is a bottom brownish
> bar that sez that your key is invalid. Is that because it passes through
> the list server? It's got a boxing glove looking icon with an X in the
> knuckles area. FYI, Ric

Tim has already answered most of this.  Occasionally I see a red bar in kmail
on someone's message, when passing it through the list (or somewhere else
along the way) has corrupted something.  I know that it was once found that
sometimes an additional EOL gets added (that was not on this list), but
usually it's because either you aren't set up to collect the keys
automatically, or the keyserver you are using doesn't have the key.  In
theory an uploaded key is propagated to all servers, but in practice they
sometimes are missed on some servers.

As Tim said, the weakness is in getting your key countersigned.  You know when
you see my key that it came from me, the entity that is registered on the
fedora-list, but you don't know whether I am really who I say I am or Donald
Duck.  I tried to get the local LUG to have a key-signing session, but there
was no interest.  For signing to be valid the person needs to know you
personally or see incontroversial proof, such as a passport.

Anne