'kickstarting' a customised install

John Mahowald jpmahowald at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 03:55:24 UTC 2006

On 9/28/06, Tom Brown <tom at ng23.net> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Pardon the terminology here but is it possible to take an image of a
> currently installed system and then building another machine with
> exactly the same setup? A bit like dd'ing the install but having it so
> that the partitioning would be more dymanic if you built this image onto
> a bigger box or something?
>
> I ask as we have base kickstarts that we then have to 'build' into
> different types of systems, be it database, app etc so it would be
> really great to snapshot a current system and them deploying this out again.
>
> Is that possible or would it be suggested to add all the required
> packages etc in the post of the kickstart?
>
> thanks

kickstart being a script for the installer, it's more of an automated
install from Fedora media rather than a deploy an image kind of thing.
Although you can script anything you want.

Perhaps more specific package listing in the %packages section would
help. Like replace with 'rpm -qa --qf "%{name}\n"'   You'd need a
kickstart for every type of deployment then.

John