Intel core 2 duo (ACPI=off -> only one CPU found)

James Wilkinson fedora at aprilcottage.co.uk
Mon Oct 2 20:53:20 UTC 2006

Anderson Alipio wrote:
> I have one Intel Core 2 Duo 1.86GHz with motherboard Intel D946GZIS and 2GB
> Dual Channel.
>
> When the system is booting, it crash checking the ACPI, not even the keyboard
> works, it stops with no message.
>
> When I pass the kernel option "acpi=off", it works fine, but found only one
> CPU.
>
> I also tried to boot with other Hard drive that already have Fedora 2 with SMP
> installed (it is working in other machine with 2 P.III 1GHz processors)
> but only boots with "acpi=off".
>
> Did anyone had this same problem? Is there a way to solve this without
> "acpi=off"? can it be a motherboard problem?

Almost certainly a motherboard problem -- the ACPI tables are part of
the BIOS, which is held on the motherboard.

Try looking for an update. Or try apci=ht : this is documented to be the
minimum necessary to get a Pentium 4 with hyperthreading to actually
hyperthread, so it might get you running with two cores.

Also try pci=noacpi and acpi=noirq.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail:     james@ | Things have never been the same since my arch enemy, due
aprilcottage.co.uk | to a slight clerical error, put a price on my shed.