Suggestions for cd ripper...mp3 or wav?

James Wilkinson fedora at aprilcottage.co.uk
Mon Oct 2 21:32:11 UTC 2006

Ian Malone wrote:
> Depends what bit-rate you use, some people will claim you can do
> lower bitrates with Vorbis at the same sound quality, some (a very few)
> will claim the other way around.

In my experience, there are some sorts of sounds that MP3 doesn't handle
well -- choral music was one that I found, where the sound is that of
(say) twenty voices singing together. I found that artefacts at 128
kbit/s under MP3 were *very* noticeable on my example tracks.

I have yet to find a type of sound that Ogg Vorbis cannot handle well.

So for choral music, yes, you can definitely get better sound quality
with Ogg Vorbis. For other sounds, the differences were much less
pronounced.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail:     james@ | Helpful Advice from Thames Water:
aprilcottage.co.uk | "If you have difficulty reading this leaflet, please ask