No Sectors left of 120GB Drive

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 2 22:32:14 UTC 2006

From: "Tony Nelson" <tonynelson at georgeanelson.com>
> At 12:28 PM -0400 10/2/06, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>>> I think one /can/, but it is contrary to specification (which you
>>> showed below), which says there can be only one Extended partition
>>> in a Basic partition table.  There can certainly be both an Extended
>>> and an LVM partition in a Basic partition table.
>>
>>but wouldn't that LVM correspond to just a primary partition?  thus
>>not violating the general rule of only one extended partition?
>
> Yes.

In an abstract sense I'd love to know what limits a disk to only one
extended partition other than legacy and sloppy code. I've had two
extended partitions on other systems before. I think I did that with
the 2.0.x kernel tree at one time, too. All that's needed is simply
traversing the partition tables sensibly.

{^_^}