VNC problem - now more understood - but a solution?

Raman Gupta rocketraman at fastmail.fm
Tue Oct 3 16:12:36 UTC 2006

Mike Cohler wrote:
> Raman Gupta wrote:
>
>> have a work-around that works for me. Before starting up x11vnc, I run
>>
>> DISPLAY=:0 xset -dpms
>>
>> After my VNC session, I restore dpms
>>
>> DISPLAY=:0 xset +dpms
>>
>> Unfortunately, this wakes up the remote monitor, and disables sleep
>> mode, but it works. YMMV.
>
> Thanks - though I have seen postings elsewhere saying that it is
> possible to use
> vbetool dpms on
> or
> vbetool dpms off
>
> See "man vbetool"
>
> Apparently xset sometimes does not use the dpms system even though X
> is supposed to - maybe this is why the unexpected behaviour occurs
> after you have used those commands?

On my system, vbetool dpms on/off seems to have no affect on the DPMS
state (though currently I'm remote so the only way I can confirm is via
xset q).  I *do* know, however, that xset, on my system, does in fact
change the DPMS state (which allows the monitor to sleep or not), and it
correctly reports whether the monitor is on or off.

Cheers,
Raman